Daring to Dream...

Just a girl who is willing to question the norm

Monday, March 05, 2007

Dominican Republic

I know it has been almost two months since my last post, but I am going to try to do better in this area! My life has been pretty stressful as far as school goes these past few months, and blogging was the last thing I wanted to do at the end of a mentally and emotionally draining day. But, after much encouragement from my mom and both of my sisters, I am back! It would be a huge and daunting task for me to give a recap of my life since January, so I think I will focus more on what is going on in my life right now. My biggest news at the moment is that I am going to the Dominican Republic in 4 days! As you can probably tell, I can hardly contain my excitement! Not only am I excited to travel to a different country, meet new people, and utilize my Spanish skills, I am also eager to see why God has called me to take part in this mission trip. You see, a few months ago I wasn't even planning on going to the DR. I didn't think that I could afford the trip and I told myself that the timing just wasn't right. Well, God certainly had other plans for me than I did for myself! The night before my team from the INN (which is the college group I am going with) purchased the airline tickets, God stirred my heart and told me that I needed to go. I didn't know why, but I knew that I needed to obey. So, here I am, two months later and only a few days away from partaking in an amazing experience! Already I have seen God's faithfulness as I learned to trust in Him with my financial situation. I had to fundraise $1450 in order to participate in this mission trip, and the Lord provided me with every single penny (plus an extra $55!). Thank you so much to all of my friends and family who contributed financially and who continue to keep me in their prayers! I am just overwhelmed by God's amazing love and the many blessings He pours on me. What an awesome God we have! Here are a few things that we will be doing while in the Dominican Republic:

~Working in the coffee fields outside of Santiago
~Learning about the importance of free trade and fair trade in the coffee industry
~Doing service projects in the community (building houses, playing with children, etc.)
~Interacting with the local people as we live in their homes
~Visiting a Haitian refugee camp
~Being the hands and feet of Jesus Christ

I know that this is going to be a powerful experience and I am ready to hop on the plane this very minute! I am currently doing all of the necessary last minute preparations (taking malaria pills, buying supplies, packing, spending time in prayer, etc.), and everything is coming together! I can't wait to provide you all with more fun information soon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy... said...

Woo hoo! yes, a new post...love it! I love that you wrote about this, Kels. I'm so excited for what God has for you. I think that it is going to be amazing. I love you! mimes

7:45 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hi Kelsey!
I found your blog though your sisters and have been hoping that you would update soon. How awesome that you get to go to the Dominican Republic! One of my best friends spent a semester there during college and she loved the "DR" as they all referred to it. I'm sure you'll love it too. Have a safe and fun trip!
~Tammy (your cousin)

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home